Sharm al-Shaykh, likewise spelled Sharm el-Sheik, English Solomon’s Bay, resort town on the southeastern shore of the Sinai Peninsula. Situated in Janūb Sīnāʾ muḥāfaẓah (governorate), Egypt, the zone was involved by the Israelis from 1967 to 1982. The name Solomon’s Bay is an inference to King Solomon’s armadas, which apparently gone through the nearby Strait of Tiran on their way from the port of Ezion-geber, at the leader of the Gulf of Aqaba, to the place where there is Ophir (1 Kings 9), which has been differently recognized as India, Arabia, or Ethiopia.
Sharm al-Shaykh was uninhabited all through the vast majority of authentic time, yet it increased present day significance in view of its key circumstance ordering the thin access to the Gulf of Aqaba. The passage is 14 miles (23 km) upper east of Sharm al-Shaykh’s sound, at the Strait of Tiran. The strait, which is hindered by islets and coral reefs, is fixed in by the Raʾs Naṣrānī cape on the west and by Tīrān Island on the east. After Israel’s War of Independence (1948–49), Egyptian firearms were introduced in the region to keep shipping from coming to Elat, Israel’s just port on the Gulf of Aqaba. The establishments were caught by Israelis in the Sinai Campaign of 1956, and the straight and strait were watched by a United Nations Emergency Force from 1957 to 1967. Egypt’s withdrawal of the UN power and its conclusion of the strait in May 1967 helped encourage the Six-Day War of June 1967. Following that war, Israel again involved the zone until Israeli powers pulled back from the Sinai Peninsula in the mid 1980s.
The development of the region as a recreational and visitor site started under the Israeli organization and was proceeded by the Egyptian government. Today extravagance resorts, cafés, and dance club line the coast. The zone’s reasonable water and broad coral reefs have made Sharm al-Shaykh a well known site for snorkeling and scuba jumping. Pop. (2006) 38,478.