Marrakech, additionally spelled Marrakesh, boss city of focal Morocco. The first of Morocco’s four magnificent urban communities, it lies in the focal point of the prolific, inundated Haouz Plain, south of the Tennsift River. The antiquated area of the city, known as the medina, was assigned an UNESCO World Heritage site in 1985.
Marrakech gave its name to the kingdom of which it was long the capital. It was established in the mid-eleventh century by Yūsuf ibn Tāshufīn of the administration of the Almoravids, and it filled in as the Almoravid capital until it tumbled to the Almohads in 1147. In 1269 Marrakech go to the control of the Marīnids, whose favored capital was the northern city of Fès. Despite the fact that Marrakech thrived while filling in as the capital under the Saʿdīs in the sixteenth century, the succeeding ʿAlawite rulers lived all the more frequently at Fès or Meknès; in any case, the ʿAlawites kept on utilizing Marrakech as a military post. In 1912 Marrakech was caught by the religious head Aḥmad al-Ḥībah, who was vanquished and driven out by French powers told by Col. Charles M.E. Mangin. Under the French protectorate (1912–56), Marrakech was for a long time regulated by the Glaoui family, the remainder of whom, Thami al-Glaoui, was the central instigator of the statement of Muḥammad V in 1953.
Encompassed by a huge palm forest, the medina in Marrakech is known as the “red city” as a result of its structures and defenses of beaten dirt, which were worked during the living arrangement of the Almohads. The core of the medina is Jamaa el-Fna square, a dynamic commercial center. Adjacent is the twelfth century Kutubiyyah (Koutoubia) Mosque with its 253-foot (77-meter) minaret, worked by Spanish prisoners. The sixteenth century Saʿdī Mausoleum, the eighteenth century Dar el-Beïda Palace (presently a medical clinic), and the nineteenth century Bahia illustrious living arrangement mirror the city’s chronicled development. A great part of the medina is as yet encompassed by twelfth century dividers; among the enduring doors to the medina, the stone Bab Agnaou is especially prominent. The cutting edge quarter, called Gueliz, toward the west of the medina created under the French protectorate.
Marrakech is celebrated for its parks, particularly the Menara olive forest and the walled 1,000-section of land (405-hectare) Agdal gardens. A water system framework worked under the Almoravids is as yet used to water the city’s greenhouses. Well known for the travel industry and winter sports, the city is a business place for the High Atlas mountains and Saharan exchange and has a worldwide airplane terminal. It is associated by railroad and street to Safī and Casablanca. Pop. (2004) 823,154.