Chiang Mai, likewise spelled Chiengmai, biggest city in northern Thailand and the third biggest city in the country after metropolitan Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima. It is situated on the Ping River, a noteworthy tributary of the Chao Phraya River, close to the focal point of a prolific intermontane bowl at a height of 1,100 feet (335 m). It fills in as the religious, monetary, social, instructive, and transportation place for both northern Thailand and part of neighboring Myanmar (Burma). When the capital of a free kingdom, the city additionally has solid social ties with Laos.
The settlement, established as a regal living arrangement in 1292 and as a town in 1296, filled in as the capital of the Lanna Thai kingdom until 1558, when it tumbled to the Myanmar. In 1774 the Siamese lord Taksin drove out the Myanmar; yet Chiang Mai held a level of freedom from Bangkok until the late nineteenth century.
Numerous different sanctuaries are in the city itself. Wat Phra Sing (1345) houses Phra Sing, the most loved Buddha figure of the north. Wat Chedi Luang (1411) housed Bangkok’s well known Emerald Buddha during the fifteenth and sixteenth hundreds of years. Pop. (2000) 174,438.
As opposed to the regularly thickly populated Asian city, Chiang Mai resembles an enormous town—organized, spotless, conventional, and practically rambling. The more established piece of town, especially the eighteenth century walled settlement, is on the west bank of the waterway; it contains remnants of numerous thirteenth and fourteenth century sanctuaries. The advanced east-bank bit is an increasingly open zone. Two scaffolds cross the wide Ping River. Chiang Mai is a thriving traveler and resort focus. Phu Ping Palace, the late spring home of the Thai regal family, is adjacent.
The city is famous as a focal point of Thai crafted works. Little towns close-by spend significant time in artworks, for example, silverwork, wood cutting, and making earthenware, umbrellas, and lacquerware. Conventional Thai silk is woven at San Kamphaeng toward the east.
Instructive offices incorporate the Northern Technical Institute (1957), the Maejo Institute of Agricultural Technology (1934), and Chiang Mai University (1964). Partnered with the college are the Tribal Research Center, the Lanna Thai Social Sciences Research Center, the Regional Center of Mineral Resources, the Industrial Economics Center of Northern Thailand, the Anemia and Malnutrition Research Center, and the Multiple Cropping Project.
Chiang Mai is the end of the railroad of 467 miles (752 km) from Bangkok and is likewise connected to southern Thailand by street and air. It has a worldwide air terminal.
The sanctuary complex of Wat Phra That Doi Suthep is a standout amongst Thailand’s most popular journey destinations. The sanctuary lies at a rise of 3,520 feet (1,073 m) on the slants of Mount Suthep, one of Thailand’s most noteworthy pinnacles (5,528 feet [1,685 m]), simply outside the city. The Doi Pui National Park possesses 40,000 sections of land (16,000 hectares) around the mountain. Lord Kue-Na manufactured the religious community of the complex in the fourteenth century; its spired pagoda is said to hold relics of the Buddha.